I have been really getting into some custom pieces lately, trying to catch up on my commissioned pieces. One of my latest commissioned jobs was a very sweet old vintage chest drawers / dresser.
The piece was a bit worse for wear surface wise, the brown finish was very marked and patchy so I knew it would be the perfect candidate for a Sweet Pickins milk paint transformation. Now the customers who this piece belongs to also had me recently update an old desk in Sweet Pickins milk paint. We decided that it would be best for me to stick with the colour scheme that I used on their desk – Galvanized (a soft cool tone grey) and Flour Sack (a warm white).. (you can read about the desk transformation HERE) as those neutral colours would tie in well with the rest of the house and would also still be suitable if they decided to repaint.
The first thing I did was give the surface a good sand as it had a shiny oily looking finish that I knew would be super resistant to the milk paint. After I sanded and scuffed the piece all over I wiped it down with some TSP. I decided that I would give the piece a really good spray over with Zinsser Shelac … the shelac seals in bleed through and also adds to the milk paint adhesion over some surfaces, it also gives a great crackle effect which is an added bonus.
While I waited for the shelac to dry I mixed up the milk paint adding a tiny bit of extra bond in as I wanted to have some control over the surface and didn’t want the finish on this piece to be SUPER chippy.
As I always find Sweet Pickins milk paint mixes up so creamy and the coats go on thick and smooth. I gave the piece 3 coats using the white to highlight the drawer fronts. I let the paint dry for about half an hr after the final coat and then distressed it will a sanding sponge and paint scraper. The beauty with milk paint is that when the piece ‘self’ distressed by chipping the effect is more random and natural looking. After distressing I waxed the piece with a hard setting stucco wax and then used L’essentiels dark wax and ageing dust to antique the finish and give the piece dimension. Here is how she came up…
The drawer fronts got some fantastic crackle happening which really added some patina to the piece.
I had to replace all the handles on this one as there were some missing and they couldn’t be replace. I did have a typical scatter brain moment and didn’t take any pics of the piece with the new handles at home so I quickly snapped a shot of a handle on the way to return the finished piece to its owners who loved the finished product.
I love how this piece turned out!!