What a massive day it has been. A lot of running around and then my cousins who are down from QLD popped past and OF COURSE being Monday the start of the week and also my house cleaning day the house was a mess :s . Now however the house is clean which feels great, even though my hubby and i are the only ones here to enjoy it!!
Despite all this i managed to get some painting done so i thought i would share today’s project and a past project that i did.
So my short burst of creativity today involved a really sweet old vintage wooden washboard that i picked up from a collectables fair recently. The washboard despite being plain already looked sweet. I decided to dry brush the outside border of the piece and then stain the actual corrugated washboard part. I used a minwax stain in driftwood. This piece was super fun and my hubby suggested that I fit a gal piece into the sunken top piece to dress it up a little. I free handed onto the gal the word ‘laundry’ with paint and paint pens and then attacked it with a piece of sand paper to fade it out a bit. Once this was done all that was left was to give it a coat of paint and this little baby was done 😀
Here is a close up 🙂
This piece wont last long for sale, it’s just too cute!!
A while back I picked up these vintage suitcases
And this hatbox
Pretty boring looking! I know!! But I knew just what i wanted to do with them.
I painted all three pieces in a solid base coat of Graphite Annie Sloan Paint. Once this had dried i rubbed some vaseline over them in spots to assist with the distressing and then painted each piece in a different top coat. For the hatbox i chose Paris Grey, the square suitcase Old White and the rectangular suitcase Duck Egg Blue. Then i found 3 images from the trusty Graphics Fairy (which i use all the time so check it out thegraphicsfairy.com) and printed them out and made a carbon copy by shading the back with a greylead. I traced each graphic onto the top of each piece and then painted over them with graphite. I decided that i wanted the distressing to look more ‘chippy’ so I used some super sticky tape and just kept sticking it to the pieces where i wanted to distress them and pulling it off. The sticky tape pulled the top layer of paint off in a really cool way.
Once i was happy with the distressing i waxed all three pieces and they were done!!
I took all 3 piece to a stall that i had at a local festival and in no time they have all found new homes and no wonder, they are just so full of vintagey goodness with a frenchy twist of course 😛
I managed to get all 3 pieces in the one shot … well nearly!!!